I like nail polish and green tea ice cream and things that have no correlation with one another and this blog is an outward expression of me.

Profile | Follow | last.fm | tumblr |

places to love: freedom tunnel
Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I really love to travel, explore and see new places that are wildly different from each other in the world. Every once in a while I stumble across a place that I want to talk about because there's something about it that I like. There's no set theme like museums or whatnot; they're just random places for me to love.

So onto the first place...

Running under Riverside Park, the Freedom Tunnel is one of NYC's best "hidden" secret. While the city continues to grow in an urban atmosphere, there, underneath the ground, lies a piece of history left virtually untouched.

My interest in the Freedom Tunnel first started when my DNY professor told us to take photos of something that mattered to us. At first I wanted to do Bowling Green but after a while, something in me just had to go into the tunnel. It was terrifying though because I kept thinking that I was going to get caught trespassing and that I was going to get arrested and that my mother was going to kill me, but eventually (after much coaxing by my friend) we managed to get in.


I was a nervous babblefest the whole time we were trying to find the entrance in. It was definitely the most frightening part of the whole experience because we were completely out in the open where everyone could see us.



Signs told us where we were at what point in the tunnel.




A Pink Floyd tribute.



Peeling paint.




The Freedom Mural



A self portrait of Chris Pape staring down at me.

I took a lot more photos but these are some of my favorites.


A short video of my dear friend and I stuck in the tunnel. We were afraid that a train would come and spot us if we exited right then. Also, please excuse our lameness!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Whoa! Great photos. Love the graffiti and grungy vibe. I also love to travel and stumble upon new things and places

By Blogger Abi, at July 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

oh wow, this look amazing! one of the reasons i wnat to go to NY, so many amaizng places to go! looks like you guys had fun!:) i love the pink ployd tribute;)
xx
mel

By Blogger mel, at August 16, 2010 at 6:37 AM  

Post a Comment